Friday, February 15, 2019

Spotlight On: Sewell H. MacDaniel


Sewell H. MacDaniel was born March 20, 1891 in North Shapleigh to Samuel and Mary Emma (Tripp) MacDaniel.  At the age of eight he went to live with his grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. George Tripp in the old Kezar neighborhood of Parsonsfield where he grew up and attended school.

Florence and Sewell MacDaniel
          He worked in the Kezar Falls Woolen Mill and served as a York County deputy sheriff from 1934 to 1938 and as selectman in Parsonsfield from 1937 to 1938.  

In July 1, 1939 Sewell became the 15th post master of the Kezar Falls Post Office where he served for 21 years.  During his term the post office was expanded from a third class to a second class office.   He retired March 31, 1961 at the age of 70. 

Mr.MacDaniel was honored by the Kezar Falls-Cornish Kiwanis Club at their February 20th meeting at Norton Hall.  A letter was read from U.S. Senator Edmund S. Muskie congratulating him upon his years of faithful service. He was presented with a plaque inscribed “The Civic Clubs honor Sewell H. MacDaniel for his twenty-one years as postmaster.” and a sum of money given by the Kiwanis Club, 21 Club, Ladies Magazine Reading Club and Keswick Club.

Mr. MacDaniel was a member of the York County Chapter of the National Association of Postmasters and served as president and director of the state organization of National Association of Postmasters.  He was a member of the Drummond Masonic Lodge in North Parsonsfield. He was also a charter member of the Parsonsfield-Porter Historical Society and very active in fundraising for their benefit.
Post Office in Kezar Falls
         
 Sewell married his first wife, Myrtle Taylor who soon died.  In November 11, 1925 he married Florence Davey of Prince Edward Island.  She died August 18, 1960.  He had one stepdaughter, Mrs. Gertrude Paasch who was caring for him at her home in Waltham, MA when he died April 26, 1962.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Friday, February 1, 2019

Spotlight On: Frank D. Fenderson

FRANK D. FENDERSON, YORK COUNTY PROBATE JUDGE, ESTEEMED LAWYER, BUSINESSMAN AND STATE LEGISLATOR 


Frank Fenderson was a colleague of J. Merrill Lord and Harvey Granville, the two biographies presented last month. He was born in Parsonsfield, June 15, 1878, son of Nathan and Abbie (Brackett) Fenderson He graduated from Limerick Academy in 1896 and was a member of the first class to graduate from the University of Maine Law School and was admitted to the bar in September 1899. He had a law office in Limerick, Maine until 1904 when he was employed by New England Telephone & Telegraph Company. In 1908 he became a partner in the law firm of J. Merrill Lord and Fenderson in Limerick until 1912 when Mr. Fenderson became clerk of courts of York County where he served for 33 years. He was Judge of the York County Probate Court for two years prior to his death. Mr. Fenderson was also secretary and treasurer of the York County Bar Association and member of the American Bar Association and Maine State Bar Association. 
 Although Mr. Fenderson was a life-long resident of Parsonsfield, he sometimes lived during the winter months in Portland, Limerick or Sanford and was active in public affairs. He was a member of the Parsonsfield School Board, served in the Maine State Legislature in 1911 and during WW I he was a member of the original draft board.
He was also Interested in several business enterprises – was a co-founder and treasurer of the Sokokis Lumber Company in Kezar Falls, a director of the Limerick National Bank and president of Limerick Mills, to name a few.  Mr. Fenderson was a member of the masonic lodge in Limerick and a member of the Maine Chapter of Sons of the American Revolution, the Sanford Lodge of Elks, the Alfred Grange, the Portland Club, the Sanford Town Club and the Maine Historical Society.
He married Laura A. Jose of Newport, Maine in July 1905 and they had one son, Jose Webster Fenderson, born March 30, 1914. Frank Fenderson passed away January 10, 1949. His wife died in November 10, 1970 and son Jose on January 20, 2013. All are buried in the Cornish Cemetery.


Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Spotlight on: Harvey E. Granville


First Principal of Porter High School and co-founder of Sokokis Lumber Company

Harvey E. Granville was born in Parsonsfield January 7, 1874  to Rufus M. and Carolyn (Pentz) Granville.  He attended local schools and graduated from Parsonsfield Seminary in 1892 and taught school for 15 years. Mr. Granville was the first principal of Porter High School and later principal of Bean Memorial High School in Brownfield.  He also served as superintendent of Porter and Parsonsfield schools.

Mr. Granville served his community in many ways.  He was on the Par Sem Board of Trustees starting in 1915 and was vice president and chairman of the executive board for 20 years.

In 1908 he, with J. Merrill Lord and Frank Fenderson, founded the Sokokis Lumber Company on the Ossipee River in Kezar Falls where he served as treasurer and then president for many years.  At that time he was a Director of the Limerick National Bank.

Mr. Granville served for several years in both houses of the Maine State Legislature during which time he sponsored the bill creating 3rd class roads and led the battle for the first gas tax measure.  He was keenly interested in farming and road building.  He was also active in the local fraternal organizations: Drummond Masonic Lodge in Parsonsfield and the Knights of Pythias in Kezar Falls.

Harvey Granville married Allice E. Fogg on January 1, 1903 and they had two children – Harry F. Granville born in 1903 and Francis Granville born in 1904.  They resided on Elm Street in Kezar Falls Village, Parsonsfield.  Mr. Granville died Aug. 18, 1948 at the age of 74.  His wife died April 14, 1982.  They are buried in the Kezar Falls Burial Grounds Cemetery.

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Spotlight on: J. Merill Lord


J. MERRILL LORD – OUTSTANDING CITIZEN & ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF THE SOKOKIS LUMBER COMPANY IN KEZAR FALLS.



  J. Merrill Lord was a man of wide interests.  By profession he was a lawyer specializing in real estate law and law related to the developent of hydroelectric power.   He was a pioneer in the development of the telephone system in Maine, founded an insurance company and owned and managed a large apple orchard farm and a lumber mill.  Business did not absorb all of his energy, for he was a member of the State House of Representatives in 1906 and served in the State Senate in 1917 and 1919. He was a member of several local fraternal organizations and took an active part in all phases of community life. 


  John Merrill Lord was born in Parsonsfield, Maine on March 29, 1866, the son of Daniel and Josephine (Merrill) Lord. He attended Parsonsfield public schools and graduated from Parsonsfield Seminary.  In 1891 he graduated from Boston Univisity Law School and taught law there for two years.   He then returned to Parsonsfield because of the ill health of his parents and commenced his law practice, later to be known as Lord & Fenderson, which he continued until his death.  Upon the death of his mother he became owner of  the 235 acre farm which he devoted entirely to apple orchards. He retained interest in this farm run by his sons under the firm name of J. Merrill Lord & Sons.  
  
  About this time he built the first telephone in Parsonsfield, a single wire connection between two private homes, and was instrumental in the formation of the Ossipee Valley Telephone Company, which he later sold to the New England Telephone Company.            In 1899, in partnership with Frank D. Fenderson, he founded an insurance company known as Lord and Fenderson which continued until  1901 when Mr. Lord took over the entire control of the company which he directed until the time of his death.  He sons continued to carry on the business.  

  In 1908 he founded the Sokokis Lumber Company in Kezar Falls in association with Harvey D. Granville and his law partner, Frank Fenderson.  This company continued for many years long after his death.  He married Sarah May Churchill, and they became the parents of five children: Theresa, Frank W., Myron O., Daniel B., and Phyllis Evelyn Lord.      Mr. Lord passed away February 28, 1920 at the age of 54.