|Tarbox Farm 1908|
Moore Mountain Road (now a discontinued road known as the Frank Merrill Road) was located just above the Middle Road Village.
It use to be populated with several homesteads as well as the Emerson School House. It ran from west to east starting at Middle Road where it intersected with Emerson Road and continued east to Merrill Hill Road.
|Emerson School house.|
Most, if not all of the houses, were abandoned by the mid 1930’s and the properties were bought by the Leavitt Plantation. We have recently acquired pictures of the Tarbox homestead and Emerson School House from Carl Tarbox of Cornish, Maine.
The 1872 map indicates this property belonged to G. Tarbox. That was George Bedell Tarbox, Carl’s great-great grandfather. He and his wife, Adeline (Hasty) Tarbox had 13 children most of whom grew to adulthood here. Their son Lorenzo and his wife Josephine were probably the last generation to work the farm. Carl’s father, George D. Tarbox and his sister spent their childhood here.
The Emerson School House, District #5, was located at the intersection of Moore Mountain Road, Middle Road and Emerson Road from 1802 to 1897. Nothing remains here today.