Summer is coming and soon many young people will be looking forward to attending summer camp again on Stanley Pond. Camp Hiawatha was originally a summer camp for mostly out of state girls. It was established in 1920 by Miss Lucile R. Ryttenberg of New York City. When under the direction of Miss Ryttenberg, many local residents were employed by the camp to provide them with fresh vegetables, milk eggs, etc.
Local women did their laundry and local men were caretakers and maintenance men. A portion of an account book kept by Lloyd Trueworthy in 1923/24 of produce and services he provided is in the collection at History House. In 1967 the camp was acquired and operated by Andrew N. Friedman of New Rochelle, N.Y. and his two sons, Major and Drew. They also operated two other summer camps in this area.
In 1984 it became the Maine TeenCamp, a coed summer camp operated by Monique and Matt Pines, that provides a specialty program for teenage boys and girls from all over the U.S. and many foreign countries. In the off season, the camp is often rented to groups or individuals for various private functions.
The main lodge building and a smaller crafts building collapsed under snow in 1969 but was quickly rebuilt in time for the summer season. (Above, the camp is erroneously identified as being in Cornish. It is in Porter.)